A violent windstorm of limited extent, as the tornado, characterized by an inward spiral motion of the air with an upward current in the center; a vortex of air. It usually has a rapid progressive motion. [1913 Webster] The swift dark whirlwind that uproots the woods. And drowns the villages. --Bryant. [1913 Webster] Note: Some meteorologists apply the word whirlwind to the larger rotary storm also, such as cyclones. [1913 Webster]
Fig.: A body of objects sweeping violently onward. "The whirlwind of hounds and hunters." --Macaulay. [1913 Webster]
Word Netwhirlwind n : a more or less vertical column of air whirling around itself as it moves over the surface of the Earth
Moby ThesaurusCharybdis, ado, baguio, blaze, burst, bustle, convulsion, cyclone, dizzy round, dust devil, eddy, eruption, explosion, fit, flare-up, flurry, furore, fuss, gale, gurge, gust, gyre, hurricane, irruption, maelstrom, outbreak, outburst, paroxysm, pirouette, pother, rainspout, rat race, reel, rotary storm, round, sand column, sandspout, seizure, spasm, spin, storm, surge, swirl, tempest, tornado, turn, twirl, twister, typhoon, upheaval, vortex, waterspout, wheel, whirl, whirlblast, whirlpool, whirly, wind eddy
- A violent windstorm of limited extent, as the tornado, characterized by an inward spiral motion of the air with an upward current in the center; a vortex of air. It usually has a rapid progressive motion.
- A body of objects or events sweeping violently onward.
- The weeks leading up to the convention were a whirlwind of preparation and hurried activity.
A violent windstorm of limited extent characterised by an inward spiral motion of the air
- German: Wirbelwind, Wirbelsturm
- Spanish: torbellino
(figuratively) A body of objects or events sweeping violently onward.
- German: Wirbelwind
Whirlwind may refer to:
- An atmospheric phenomenon, see whirlwind (atmospheric phenomenon)
- whirlwind, an ancient chinese seige weapon
- Several aircraft, see Westland Whirlwind
- MIT's pioneering Whirlwind computer
- Jimmy White, a famous British Snooker player, is nicknamed The Whirlwind due to his speedy technique of play
- Whirlwind (comics), a Marvel Comics supervillain
- Whirlwind (novel), a novel by James Clavell
- The WhirlWind (Seabreeze) is a roller coaster at Seabreeze Amusement Park in Rochester, New York
- USS Whirlwind (PC-11), a ship in the US Navy
- Whirlwind tank, a Space Marine rocket artillery vehicle in the Warhammer 40,000 universe
- "Whirlwind", a pinball machine made by Williams
- Whirlwind, a Wind-based Psynergy used by Ivan and Sheba in Golden Sun
- The Wright Whirlwind radial aircraft engine
- Hostile Whirlwinds, a Soviet 1953 film
whirlwind in Russian: Вихрь